Also available in: Español (Spanish)
Social Support Volunteer Training
Postpartum Support Virginia offers a one-day training sessions for individuals interested in becoming social support volunteers.
Social support volunteers are the heart of PSVa.
They provide direct support to women and family members seeking information and assistance.
Responsibilities of social support volunteers include responding to phone calls and emails, as well as leading support groups for new and expectant mothers experiencing anxiety and/or depression.
This one-day training session addresses the following topics:
- perinatal mood and anxiety disorders
- the role of social support volunteers
- responding to phone calls and emails
- leading support groups
The following websites have information that is helpful in preparing for the training session:
Since the early 2000′s there has been a publishing boom for books addressing perinatal mood and anxiety disorders; PSVa recommends these tried-and-true favorites:
- This Isn’t What I Expected: Overcoming Postpartum Depression by Karen Kleiman
- Beyond the Blues by Pec Indman and Shoshanna Bennet